06 May LinkedIn Automated Testing
LinkedIn is the number one social networking site for companies and professionals alike. As of June 2013, LinkedIn reported more than 225 million users in more than 200 countries and territories. The site is available in 19 languages and has 21.4 million unique U.S. visitors and 47.6 million globally each month. Forbes has named LinkedIn one of the fastest growing tech companies as of June 2013.
With such a large online presence, it is a huge benefit to know how many of those visitors are on mobile devices, what type of device is being used, and how many users are connecting via the LinkedIn mobile app.
LinkedIn needed to create superior quality of its applications in very rapid release cycle.
Before the Akvelon development team started automating tests for the LinkedIn application, testing was done manually, consuming large amounts of time and producing more errors.
Akvelon provided the most competitive fixed bid proposal for this project and was able to meet all of the project’s deadlines.
We have never seen better test results.
Manual testing is, in many cases, inconsistent due to various testing environments, complicated test preconditions, and the human factor. Given the complexity of the LinkedIn application for Android and iOS (being that they themselves are under constant development) it became extremely difficult for LinkedIn to ensure that new functionality does not break existing logic and that every release consistently provides common experiences for all platforms and user locales.
Akvelon worked with LinkedIn on test process automation through development of a modular, extendable, and reliable test framework based on industry standards like Robotium (Android), UIAutomation (iOS), and Hudson (continuous integration server). Akvelon’s main tasks were to extend test framework and develop test modules used as a building blocks to compose complicated test suites.
Test Framework is capable of automating UI tests for any Android and iOS application on real devices and on emulators. Testing can be fully automated by running tests with any Continuous Integration server.
Various basic and complex user actions can be automated: screen taps, scrolls, swipes, hardware buttons taps, screen orientation changes, editing text fields, etc.
Akvelon applied its best practices for the solution design and implementation:
* In-depth analysis of the business need based on historical data and brainstorming sessions with the company management
* Road-map arrangement: goals, deliverables, milestones, specifications, estimations, and communications
* Software design and development
* System deployment: testing, and solution feedback providing improvements to resolve additional queries
Benefits and Results
As a result, LinkedIn has received two powerful automated testing systems to check the LinkedIn mobile client application for both of the most popular mobile platforms – Android and iOS.
* By automating the test process for the LinkedIn Mobile application, LinkedIn was able to reduce the amount of hours spent testing
* As new features were added, regression testing took place automatically with minimal set-up time
* The Client was also able to minimize human error and limit environmental (Dev environment) impacts to the testing
* 75% of Android and 95% of iOS Test Cases were automated