Overlake Hospital Medical Center is a 349-bed nonprofit regional medical center offering a full range of advanced medical services to the Puget Sound Region. Led by a volunteer Board of Directors, Overlake employs nearly 2,400 people and has more than 1,000 active and courtesy physicians on staff.
Overlake Hospital was looking for a solution that would allow it to re-organize and improve its business processes through electronic documentation. The solution had to be flexible enough to serve as a platform for anticipated custom applications, which may involve workflows, document approval, and information tracking. Overlake was also looking to establish automatic provisioning of various types of users, from full time hospital employees to students and volunteers – in a wide range of discrete medical applications used in the hospital. A role-based access control system needed to be established to ensure HIPAA privacy regulations and improve the provisioning and de-provisioning process.
Akvelon offered Overlake consulting services to plan a SharePoint 2010 deployment throughout its organization. The services started by determining the necessary architecture to satisfy scalability and reliability requirements and for deployment.
Many organizations are faced with real obstacles when attempting to organize available information conveniently. Akvelon created clear design principles and information organization through the implementation of SharePoint. We fine-tuned crawling and search capabilities in a way that maximized search effectiveness and addressed security and access restrictions to appropriate users.
In addition, Akvelon performed an analysis of the user access management process. This involved interviewing key people and backtracking various details and edge cases throughout the workflows. Akvelon established a proposal to build a custom Provisioning Application for SharePoint that would improve the provisioning, user management, and deprovisioning processes, allowing electronic record keeping for user accounts. Overall, the solution would result in an improved HIPAA compliance.
Security risk assessment of the IT environment at Overlake has been performed as part of the project. The result was a number of recommendations, which were put forth to improve compliance with relevant regulations and to help follow recent regulatory changes.
Benefits and Results
- Organizational process improvement and centralized organizational policy management
- Each department gained a solution for document management within their area
- Improved document crawling and search, including ability to search network shares with thousands of documents available
- Cost-effective solution achieved through proper planning, roll-out, and information organization that allows users to be efficient while using the new solution
- Addressed auditing and compliance requirements
- Reduced time required for medical application administering
- Improved data security
- Ensured de-provisioning of employees when access was no longer required
- Unified provisioning process for various discrete medical applications
- Unified provisioning process for various types of Overlake Hospital employees
- Increased maintainability and accountability. All user’s permissions status for all medical application resides and can be accessed in a single repository
Microsoft SharePoint 2010, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 (C#), MS SQL 2008, Team Foundation Server 2008, Windows XML, Installer 3.5
Stay updated with tech trends,
our company news and case studies